Click the LHDNO header emblem, top left, to return HOME from any page.
to the Leinkauf Historic District Neighborhood Organization. We hope you will use the menu bar above and click on the tabs to learn About LHDNO (the Leinkauf Story, Take a Photo tour), check out our Events, Join Us, and read our "Under the Oaks" News Blog. This is the only official website representing LHDNO and the actions of its Board.
New Zoning Ordinance was released January 22. Last day to enter your feedback was April 8.
SEE UNDER THE OAKS NEWS BLOG for new articles on Zoning and on the Broad Street live oaks.
There are a few flags left. To contact LHDNO to buy one, please go to "Contact Us" on the task bar at the top of this page and complete the contact form stating your interest in a flag. Flags are $60.
LET'S LIGHT UP LEINKAUF! LHDNO 2018 kick-off of Lighting Project - READ THE REPORT IN UNDER THE OAKS NEWS BLOG.
LHDNO General Membership Meeting for Induction of the new Board is January 10, 2019, at First Christian Church, Government St @ Stocking Street.
We need YOU! To see how you can help, click on each word
The LHDNO Mission is to honor the gift of our shared lives by elevating our Quality of Life, preserving historic properties, and nurturing the enduring legacy of our natural surroundings.
ELEVATE the Quality of of Life...
• PRESERVE AND RESTORE our historic homes and properties
• WORK FOR a neighborly, connected, safe, and clean District
• ADVOCATE for high quality commercial design
• WORK TO INFLUENCE nonresidential uses appropriate to our historic, residential character
• WORK TO PROTECT AND IMPROVE our natural greenways and built legacy
A BAKER'S DOZEN FOR LEINKAUF -- 2018 YEAR-END REPORT OF ACTIVITIES FROM THE LHDNO BOARD
1. LIGHT UP LEINKAUF! PROJECT: Formed an Ad Hoc lighting committee; Lighting Ad Hoc Chair, Tim Maness, hosted organizational meeting to kick off project to install antique lampposts where they have been dismantled by the city, upgrade electrical infrastructure to make future lighting installations possible, and expand antique lampposts in the District. By the October 25th membership meeting they announced the city’s commitment to move a 10-year-old lighting infrastructure upgrade project into the 2020 action budget, opening the door to future fundraising and grants to continue the project.
2. INCREASED COMMUNICATIONS: new Website at ww.leinkauf.org. (Attended website training; developed new Wix website); increased Next Door posts; initiated bimonthly “LHNDNO Lamppost” Newsletter; Holiday card from the Board to residents with Holiday at the Pillars invite delivered door to door.
3. LHDNO LED SUCCESSFULLY ON COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENTS: A. Organized to successfully stop an ill-advised shelter on Government; B. Arranged meetings with the Stokley Garden Center development team; kept Leinkauf informed of plans; work led to an agreement from Stokley’s and the city that the site would NOT be up-zoned to more intense B3 zoning! C. Communicated news to Leinkauf (emails, website, Nextdoor) about the pending development at Dexter and Gov’t. where a new attractive brick building is proposed. D. Board members attended and spoke for Leinkauf’s interests at pertinent city Planning meetings.
4. BEAUTIFICATION: Recognized Outstanding Leinkauf Yards for Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall, and Holiday seasons. Installed red holiday bows on Gov’t St. lampposts. Partnered with Stokley’s.
5. PUBLIC RELATIONS WITH OFFICIALS: A.Gained donations to host luncheon for Councilman Manzie about lighting. B. Co-hosted Meet-up with the Stokley Development Team to address community concerns. C. Board and volunteers represented Leinkauf in several meetings: Downtown Alliance Urban Street Design workshop, Build Mobile, Mr. Manzie’s District 2 VIA meeting, Mayor’s District 2 LADD meeting.
6. REPRESENTED LEINKAUF IN THE COMMUNITY: Attended other historic district meetings as guests and presenters (ODWA, DeTonti, Oakleigh, Govt St Collaborative); Encouraged increased communication and collaboration among other historic districts per the Gov’t St Collaborative goals, as well as among the various neighborhoods organized within Leinkauf (Porch Society, Flo Claire, Govt St Collaborative).
7. TAKING CARE OF BUSINESS: Revised and Aligned By-Laws with current procedures and with the full implementation of Areas of Representation. Brought forward a full slate for Board & Officers. Engaged guest speakers on topics of interest at Membership meetings: MPD-Security Cameras; County Agent-Spring Lawn Care; Blane Stokley-Stokley’s Garden Express; Architect-Site Plan for Garden Ctr.
8. CONTINUED DONATION TO LEINKAUF ELEMENTARY SCHOOL after-school LEAPS art program, and added a donation to the Food Pantry at First Christian Church.
9. NEW FUNDRAISERS: SILENT AUCTION AND WINE PULL to support LHDNO initiatives; Opened an LHDNO Market Booth at the Pillars in December. Planned contribution for First Christian Church program for area homeless and needy.
10. ORGANIZED SUCCESSFUL LEINKAUF FLAG SALE
11. CONTINUED SALE OF COMMEMORATIVE LEINKAUF HISTORIC DISTRICT METAL SIGNS to support additional historic district markers.
12. ENGAGED MIDTOWN AND DOWNTOWN BUSINESSES IN SUPPORT OF LEINKAUF: Take your Business to these supporters and THANK them for supporting YOUR HISTORIC DISTRICT! The Pillars-Classic Events, Callaghan’s, Stokley’s Garden Express, Fresh Market, Starbucks on Govt St, Moe’s BBQ, Rooster’s, Cheese Factory, Butch Cassidy’s, Wintzell’s, Spot of Tea, Three George’s, Crescent Theater, Ashland Pub, Mobile Botanical Gardens The Artful Garden gift shop, MA Simon, Ashland Gallery, Expressions Gifts, Office Depot, LUSH, Zimlich, Guncles Pastry, Alabama Crown, Serda's, Southern Business Consultants, KandC Small Business Computer Services.
13. CELEBRATED 2018 AND PLANNED FOR 2019: “Holidays at the Pillars” third annual holiday party for Leinkauf residents to celebrate a successful 2018 together and kick off an even better 2019!
FLY THE FLAG! THE LEINKAUF HISTORIC DISTRICT FLAGS ARE HERE AND WERE GIVEN OUT AT THE PILLARS SUNDAY MARKET ON DEC. 9 AS ANNOUNCED. COME TO THE JANUARY 10TH MEMBERSHIP MEETING IF YOU MISSED PICKING YOURS UP, OR CONTACT YOUR BOARD. GOOD NEWS: WE WERE ABLE TO INCLUDE A FEW EXTRA FLAGS IN THE ORDER AND NOW HAVE THOSE FOR SALE. THE COST IS $60 FOR THE FLAG (3X5, DOUBLE SIDED, TRIPLE STITCH EDGING, BRASS GROMMETS ON A DOUBLE CANVAS BACKING, UV INK AND LINER).