Click the LHDNO header emblem, top left, to return HOME from any page.
Welcome to the Leinkauf Historic District Neighborhood Organization. We hope you will use the menu bar above and click on the tabs to learn About LHDNO (the Leinkauf Story, Take a Photo tour), check out our Events, Join Us, and read our "Under the Oaks" News Blog. This is the only official website representing LHDNO and the actions of its Board.
CONGRATULATIONS to LHDNO members Jacob and Julie Thomas of West Street, our 2019 winners for the Annual Holiday Party 50/50 Raffle Draw !!
In addition, 12 gift certificates and prizes, valued at $15-$40 from area businesses supporting LHDNO, were awarded on raffle ticket draws throughout the evening, culminating at 7:30 p.m. with the "big" 50/50 cash prize draw worth $150.00.
PUT THE LHDNO HOLIDAY PARTY ON YOUR CALENDAR FOR Dec 2020. THE MORE GUESTS WHO PARTICIPATE, THE GREATER THE RAFFLE REWARDS!!
Welcome New Business members Kelly Cleaners!
SEE ANNOUNCEMENTS AND WEBSITES FOR INFO ON THE COVID 19 CRISIS - UNDER THE OAKS NEWS BLOG
A special thanks to photographers Michele Zaricor and Tommy Cooper of C'est la Vie Photography, who provided again this year commemorative holiday photographs for couples, families, and friends who stopped by to enjoy the party.
251.421.8795 or 251.581.2039.
SHOPPES OF MIDTOWN BOARD OF ADJUSTMENT PUBLIC HEARING, seeking a VARIANCE TO OPERATE A STATE OWNED ABC STORE AT THE SHOPPES:
APRIL 6 2:00P.M. GOV'T PLAZA
See Details "Under the Oaks News Blog" and in "Events"
First LHDNO General Membership Meeting for 2020 in February, date/time TBA, at First Christian Church, Government St @ Stocking Street.
We need YOU! To see how you can help, click on each word
The LHDNO Mission is to honor the gift of our shared lives by elevating our Quality of Life, preserving historic properties, and nurturing the enduring legacy of our natural surroundings.
ELEVATE the Quality of of Life...
• PRESERVE AND RESTORE our historic homes and properties
• WORK FOR a neighborly, connected, safe, and clean District
• ADVOCATE for high quality commercial design
• WORK TO INFLUENCE nonresidential uses appropriate to our historic, residential character
• WORK TO PROTECT AND IMPROVE our natural greenways and built legacy
2019 YEAR-END REPORT OF ACTIVITIES FROM THE LHDNO BOARD
1. LIGHT UP LEINKAUF! Phase One is now in the 2020 City Capital Improvement Action Budget !! PROJECT: Formed an Ad Hoc lighting committee; Lighting Ad Hoc Chair, Tim Maness, hosted organizational meeting to kick off project to install antique lampposts where they have been dismantled by the city, upgrade electrical infrastructure to make future lighting installations possible, and expand antique lampposts in the District. By the October 25th membership meeting they announced the city’s commitment to move a 10-year-old lighting infrastructure upgrade project into the 2020 action budget, opening the door to future fundraising and grants to continue the project.
2. CONTINUED COMMUNICATIONS: Website at ww.leinkauf.org. UTILITIZED Next Door posts; CONTINUED “LHNDNO Lamppost” Newsletter;
3. LHDNO LEADING ON COMMERCIAL DEVELOPMENTS: THE LHDNO BOARD successfully advocated against an overly-dense TEN UNIT apartment complex of short-term, studio sized units at the corner of Everett and Church Streets, then later worked with a new developer who initiated contact with the Board and attended an LHDNO membership meeting to present his plan and answer questions. This new proposal for a much improved complex of only SIX units and a more historically appropriate exterior promises to be a contributing housing option in our neighborhood. The new Stokley Garden Express work is progressing and will open this year. The LHDNO Board met with and welcomed The Spiffy Fox Pizzaria on Monroe. Realtors tell us housing in Leinkauf is appreciating and moving!
4. PUBLIC RELATIONS WITH OFFICIALS: A.Gained donations to host luncheon for Councilman Manzie about lighting. B. Board and volunteers represented Leinkauf in several meetings: Mr. Manzie’s District 2 VIA meeting, Planning Commission and City Council Meetings on development projects; C. Government Street Collaborative committee meetings with city officials about the Broad Street project.
5. REPRESENTED LEINKAUF IN THE COMMUNITY: Attended other historic district meetings as guests and presenters (ODWA, DeTonti, Govt St Collaborative); Encouraged increased communication and collaboration among other historic districts per the Gov’t St Collaborative goals, as well as among the various neighborhoods organized within Leinkauf (Porch Society, Flo Claire, Govt St Collaborative).
6. BUSINESS: Revised and Aligned By-Laws with current procedures. Brought forward a slate for new Board & Officers. Engaged guest speakers on topics of interest at several Membership meetings: Owner to present site plan of of proposed Ferndale Apartments at Church and Everett; Mobile Historic Development Commission director Paige Largue.
7. CONTINUED DONATION TO LEINKAUF ELEMENTARY SCHOOL from funds raised at LHDNO activities
8. FUNDRAISERS: 50/50 Raffle at the Annual Holiday Party in December to support LHDNO initiatives; LHDNO Flag and commemorative signage sales
9. ENGAGED MIDTOWN AND DOWNTOWN BUSINESSES IN SUPPORT OF LEINKAUF: Take your Business to these supporters and THANK them for supporting YOUR HISTORIC DISTRICT! The Pillars-Classic Events, Callaghan’s, Stokley’s Garden Express, Fresh Market, Starbucks on Govt St, Moe’s BBQ, Rooster’s, Cheese Factory, Butch Cassidy’s, Wintzell’s, Spot of Tea, Three George’s, Crescent Theater, Ashland Pub, Mobile Botanical Gardens The Artful Garden gift shop, MA Simon, Ashland Gallery, Expressions Gifts, Office Depot, LUSH, Zimlich, Guncles Pastry, Alabama Crown, Serda's, Southern Business Consultants, KandC Small Business Computer Services, The Spiffy Fox, and coming this year, Ferndale Apartments on Church Street.
10. CELEBRATED 2019 AND PLANNED FOR 2020: Decorated Government Street lampposts with festive red bows and silver snowflakes in preparation for the “Holidays at the Pillars” fourth annual holiday party for Leinkauf residents to celebrate a successful 2019 together and kick off an even better 2020!
FLY THE FLAG! THE LEINKAUF HISTORIC DISTRICT FLAGS ARE AVAILABLE AT MEMBERSHIP MEETINGS (next: April 30; all dates on Events Page) OR CONTACT YOUR BOARD BY SENDING YOUR REQUEST BY EMAIL TO
GOOD NEWS: WE WERE ABLE TO INCLUDE A FEW EXTRA FLAGS IN THE ORDER AND NOW HAVE THOSE FOR SALE. THE COST IS $60 FOR THE FLAG (3X5, DOUBLE SIDED, TRIPLE STITCH EDGING, BRASS GROMMETS ON A DOUBLE CANVAS BACKING, UV INK AND LINER).